I’ve recently taken on a job that requires modification of a web site built on Drupal, and 3 days in, I feel like I need a 2 week holiday.
Their use on the web has exploded over recent years, as more and more would be ‘web designers’ have started using them as their framework for building websites.
This in turn as led to the development of lots and lots of Drupal plugins and widgets, which add a futher layer of fudge and complexity to something that is already very fudgy and very complex.
Under the hood, its a morass.
Before starting work on the modifications I had to make, I took a look at the MySQL database on which is runs. It had 288 tables (my own CMS has 12 tables, and even poor old WordPress only has about 40 tables).
If that wasn’t bad enough, when I then tried to run a local copy of the website on my laptop, I started to get errors about PHP not having enough memory to run the Drupal scripts. PHP is normally allocated about 16MB of memory as part of its installation; to run Drupal, I had to up this to 64MB!!
All this was bad enough, but it was nothing comparred to actually using the management interface to build content. The admin menu in Drupal has 14 different options, and each of these has a plethora of sub options, all of which refer to vague concepts like Blocks, Views, Modules, Panels, Stories etc (they also refer to a Page, but its isn’t really clear what a Page is).
I looked around for somewhere I could clear the cache, but could find nothing. I eventually googled the subject and found that the clear cache was a sub sub option under the ‘Site Configuration’ menu option.
On another occasion, I had to change some User Permissions. When I clicked on the Save button, my laptop started to grind to the extent that I thought it was going to shut itself down to prevent an explosion.
Perhaps my most stressful experience with Drupal was dealing with this bug. There are 300 posts on the Drupal Forum thread on this bug, and the upshot of it isn’t there isn’t a universal solution. You basically have to figure out what version of a few different modules you are using, and then apply a serious of patches which may or may not break other parts of your installation.
Lets try and use an analogy here.
Building a website with Drupal is like trying to build a house by joining together five or six mobile homes. Its cheap, it doesn’t take long to put together and it seems like a easy solution to a pressing problem.
What you get is something that is about the same size as a house, and that has certain features of house (eg windows and doors), but that also has 5 bathrooms, 5 kitchens, no corridors and no rooms of any useful size. You also need 5 different electricty meters, and in certain cases, if you want to walk from one room to another, you have to leave house and come in through another door.
Also, if you want to make even minor modifications to the look of your houseÂ in future, you have to take the whole thing apart and stick it back together again.
Don’t get me wrong. Open source packages like Drupal are essential part of the Internet, but its becoming clear that the more an application tries to be a solution for everything, the more likely it is to become a solution for nothing.